Pages

Monday, February 8, 2010

Make it work. . .

Nope, not talking about Tim Gunn.



Though, I do love him!

Who doesn't?!

I'm talking about my home. 

Jeff and I had a heart to heart this weekend, and discussed our current home situation. 

If you've read my blog for any length of time, you know that we currently rent, and that it's small and seriously outdated.

We desperatlely want to buy our own home but with the current economy, we've decided it's best to continue to rent our current home.

For the first time in a long time, I'm ok with this.

I've come to realize, that it may not be my dream home, it is my home.

Regardless, of the fact that I am unable to paint, remodel, etc., I am determined to make this a place I am proud to call home.

I'm determined to quit focusing on all the negative things about it and try to emphasize the positive qualities it does have.

Quite frankly, I do think I've come to love it,  not because of the structure itself, but because it houses the things I hold nearest and dearest to me.

My family.

So, wood paneling and all, I am gonna make it work!


4 comments:

Tiffany said...

I know how you feel...we are renting too and I hate it! I have tried to make it as home-like as possible, but it is hard sometimes! Guess I need to follow your advice :)

Heidi of Operation Organization said...

Girl, I had the SAME realization this past summer! :)

Since then I have been really intentional about pulling together the decor (be it a little at a time!!) and just a few weeks ago, my husband gave the BIGGEST compliment
saying, "I'm really starting to love, our living room!"
That's huge coming from him, making an observation like that, because he has said over and over how blah, and boring and stale our house felt. This was not a put down to me at all (we had agreed that our budget was better suited toward other endeavors) merely an observation that he's grown to accept as I had.

But after YEARS of just 'making do' I was through!!! It's amazing what a little pop of color with pillows, a few extra seats found at a rummage sale, adding texture with an area rug, and a few personal touches will do.
I think in all, I've spent about $150 over 6 mo. or so improving our living room and I don't regret one penny!
Can't wait to see the evolution of your space! WORK IT!! ;)

Cottage Mommy said...

Good attitude Steph..I need some of it! I had been so excited because we showed our house to a couple yesterday that was seeing it for the second time. So I thought they must be ready to make an offer. Nope...they are going to keep looking. I'm so bummed. I need to have YOUR attitude!

M.J. said...

I've so had to live with some wood paneling previously in my life girl! Feeling that pain, but loving your attiitude...keep focused on that!